The St. Anne and Joachim’s church in Vettuvankeni is our Shrine’s mother parish. The then Vettuvankeni parish came under the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore, one of the oldest diocese in India started on Jan 19, 1606, by his holiness Pope Paul V. As the parish was spread out over a vast area from Thiruvalluvar Nagar to Injambakkam, it was difficult for the parishioners to meet their spiritual needs. The nuns of St. Anne’s convent, Vettuvankeni, also found it hard to pay routine visits to the parishioners. Hence, the need to start a sub-station at Kottivakkam or Palavakkam was felt by one and all.
In 1985, the efforts of Rev. Fr. C.V. Thomas, the then parish priest of Vettuvankeni, bore fruit by bringing forth the Seva Missionary Sisters, on a piece of land in Kottivakkam, donated by one Mr. Swaminathan.Fr. It acted as a substation to Vettuvankeni (presently St. Anthony’s Matriculation School).